Old South Barbecue Sauce
©2002, The Naked Whiz
This recipe was given to me by Vi Roberts, a great guy who knew how to cook brisket! I have, of course, twiddled it a little bit and here is the result. A sauce with flavor, character, texture and some kick!
- 24 ounces of tomato sauce
- 18 ounces of water
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 2 Tbsp salt
- 1 Tsp dried basil
- 1 Tbsp FRESHLY ground black pepper, ground fairly coarse
- 2 large cloves crushed garlic
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 4 Tbsp apple cider vinegar (see notes)
- 1 pinch ground cloves
- 1 pinch ground cinammon
- 1 pinch ground nutmeg
- 1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 Tbsp mustard (cheap, yellow)
- Hot sauce or cayenne pepper to taste
Mix all ingredients in a sauce pan. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer at least 30 minutes.
You may wish to leave out the vinegar and taste the sauce first. Add the vinegar as desired up to the indicated amount.